marthawells: Atlantis in fog (Atlantis)
[personal profile] marthawells
So a cool thing happened: Network Effect won the Nebula Award for Best Novel!

I was really shocked and floored. I really didn't think it would win. We had invited some (vaccinated) friends over to watch the ceremony live on YouTube but I also had to be logged in to a zoom "green room" the whole time, so we spent a lot of Friday and Saturday housecleaning, getting party food at the store, and trying to reconfigure our internet to be robust enough to make this work. (Because of the way the live broadcast worked, if I got kicked out of the green room zoom because of a dropped connection, they wouldn't be able to let me back in.) We ended up directly connecting my laptop to the router, which worked great. And the Tiramisu cake from the HEB bakery was both beautiful and delicious.

There was a Nebula Red Carpet tag on Twitter for outfits, and I wore a dress I'd actually bought for the Dublin WorldCon, but the back wasn't sewn quite right, so wearing it for an online event was perfect. Here's some photos: https://twitter.com/AlyshondraM/status/1401309636859338752

Congrats to all the finalists and winners. I'm so proud of you all!


If you want to watch any bits of the ceremony, it's on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE1YtIKm8Xk


BEST NOVEL - Network Effect, Martha Wells (Tordotcom)

BEST NOVELLA - Ring Shout, P. Djèlí Clark (Tordotcom)

BEST NOVELETTE - “Two Truths and a Lie”, Sarah Pinsker (Tor.com)

BEST SHORT STORY - “Open House on Haunted Hill”, John Wiswell (Diabolical Plots)

THE ANDRE NORTON NEBULA AWARD FOR MIDDLE GRADE AND YOUNG ADULT FICTION - A Wizard’s Guide to Defensive Baking, T. Kingfisher (Argyll)

BEST GAME WRITING - Hades, Greg Kasavin (Supergiant)

THE RAY BRADBURY NEBULA AWARD FOR OUTSTANDING DRAMATIC PRESENTATION - The Good Place: “Whenever You’re Ready”, Michael Schur, NBC (Fremulon/3 Arts Entertainment/Universal)


Additional awards and honors presented:

THE SFWA DAMON KNIGHT MEMORIAL GRAND MASTER AWARD - Nalo Hopkinson

THE KATE WILHELM SOLSTICE AWARD - Jarvis Sheffield, Ben Bova (posthumous), & Rachel Caine (posthumous)

THE KEVIN J. O’DONNELL, JR. SERVICE TO SFWA AWARD - Connie Willis
Page 1 of 2 << [1] [2] >>

Date: 2021-06-06 12:44 pm (UTC)
just_ann_now: (Happy: Kermitflail)
From: [personal profile] just_ann_now
Congratulations!

w00t!

Date: 2021-06-06 12:56 pm (UTC)
lsanderson: (Default)
From: [personal profile] lsanderson
Congratulations!

Date: 2021-06-06 01:29 pm (UTC)
dranon: (Default)
From: [personal profile] dranon
Hooray! Congratulations!

Date: 2021-06-06 01:33 pm (UTC)
ginny_t: A panda hugs a comma or apostrophe (hugs)
From: [personal profile] ginny_t
OMG! Congratulations! All the awards for you and Murderbot!

Date: 2021-06-06 01:38 pm (UTC)
keshwyn: "Read Instead" on the front of a television (reading)
From: [personal profile] keshwyn
I was really shocked and floored. I really didn't think it would win.

Channeling Murderbot there. :-)

Date: 2021-06-06 01:49 pm (UTC)
batwrangler: Just for me. (Default)
From: [personal profile] batwrangler
Congratulations!

Date: 2021-06-06 02:17 pm (UTC)
j00j: rainbow over east berlin plattenbau apartments (Default)
From: [personal profile] j00j
Congratulations!!!

Date: 2021-06-06 02:24 pm (UTC)
marycrawford: 13 hour clock icon (Default)
From: [personal profile] marycrawford
YAY YAY YAY YAY 🎉 Congratulations! I am so happy and thrilled for you.

Date: 2021-06-06 02:32 pm (UTC)
schneefink: Teyla and Sora with drinks, laughing (SGA Teyla and Sora cheerful)
From: [personal profile] schneefink
Congrats! :D

Date: 2021-06-06 02:46 pm (UTC)
From: [personal profile] corucia
Yay! Congratulations - it was a great slate of nominees, and I'm happy Network Effect won

Date: 2021-06-06 03:00 pm (UTC)
anne: (Default)
From: [personal profile] anne
I just reread it Wednesday because everything was too much! Your books are my version of Sanctuary Moon.

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] baggyeyes - Date: 2021-06-13 03:17 am (UTC) - Expand

Date: 2021-06-06 03:06 pm (UTC)
banrionceallach: thirteenth doctor (Default)
From: [personal profile] banrionceallach
Congratulations!

Date: 2021-06-06 03:10 pm (UTC)
alessandriana: (Default)
From: [personal profile] alessandriana
Congrats, I'm so happy for you!!

Date: 2021-06-06 03:12 pm (UTC)
life_of_glamour: (Default)
From: [personal profile] life_of_glamour
Congratulations!! Well deserved!

Date: 2021-06-06 03:13 pm (UTC)
under_the_silk_tree: stack of old books (books)
From: [personal profile] under_the_silk_tree
Congratulations that’s so awesome!

Congratulatons

Date: 2021-06-06 03:20 pm (UTC)
mlevins: (Default)
From: [personal profile] mlevins
Great win and wonderful speech! Congratulations

Date: 2021-06-06 03:21 pm (UTC)
em_kellesvig: Murderbot on a purple background (Murderbot)
From: [personal profile] em_kellesvig
That's just awesome! Congrats!

Date: 2021-06-06 03:46 pm (UTC)
queenoftheskies: queenoftheskies (Default)
From: [personal profile] queenoftheskies
Congratulations! I'm so glad Network Effect won!!!

Date: 2021-06-06 04:02 pm (UTC)
azurelunatic: Vivid pink Alaskan wild rose. (Default)
From: [personal profile] azurelunatic
Congratulations!

Date: 2021-06-06 04:07 pm (UTC)
heavenscalyx: (Default)
From: [personal profile] heavenscalyx
Congratulations!

Also, I was SO CHUFFED about Nalo's Grand Masterhood.

Date: 2021-06-06 04:15 pm (UTC)
From: [personal profile] drredhead
Congratulations!

Date: 2021-06-06 04:17 pm (UTC)
yhlee: Alto clef and whole note (middle C). (Default)
From: [personal profile] yhlee
Congratulations!!!

Date: 2021-06-06 04:19 pm (UTC)
cgbookcat1: (giraffe)
From: [personal profile] cgbookcat1
Congratulations!

Date: 2021-06-06 05:02 pm (UTC)
muccamukk: Wanda walking away, surrounded by towering black trees, her red cloak bright. (Default)
From: [personal profile] muccamukk
Congratulations! That's wonderful.

I'm also really excited about Hopkinson. Is she not the youngest grandmaster?

Date: 2021-06-06 05:23 pm (UTC)
theoldone: (Default)
From: [personal profile] theoldone
Congratulations! This is so Awesome!
Page 1 of 2 << [1] [2] >>

About the Author

SF/F Writer - The Books of the Raksura, The Murderbot Diaries, Witch King, and more. Nebula and Hugo Award winner. NYT, Sunday Times, and USA Today Bestseller. (She/her) Agent: Jennifer Jackson

Note: Martha is NOT on Facebook or Threads

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Page generated Oct. 31st, 2026 04:18 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios